Saturday, September 16, 2017

Waiting on the World to Change


In my 8th grade science class, we talked about a scientific term, called, "The Path of Least Resistance."  That means to say the easiest course of action. That when there's an avalanche, the snow and rocks are gonna fall in such a way that is EASIEST to them.

Ive learned that the path of least resistance is not just a physical scientific phenomenon, but an emotional, and spiritual principle too. The scriptures call the emotional and spiritual sides of it as "The natural Man." The Natural Man is an enemy to God. But my problem with the Natural Man, is that I AM ONE.

Its like, extremely easy to sleep in an hour. Its extremely easy to NOT do companionship study. The easiest thing in the world is to get mad at your investigators and tell them theyre making the worst mistakes of their lives by not listening to our message, and its even EASIER THAN THAT, to get mad at your companion because he lost your toothbrush.  The Natural Man gives into all of those of those SUPER easy temptations. I said I was a natural man, so you can put 2 and 2 together...

John 8:1-9, in my own words,  talks about how a group of natural men brough a natural woman in front of Jesus, wanting to kill her because of her "natural-ness". Jesus says for the person without ANY "natural-ness" to throw the first stone. Then all the Natural men saw all of their natural-ness, and went their own way.

In verse 10, Jesus ask the woman, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? And she says, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

This Natural Woman was in front of the only Holy Man, to ever walk the the world, the only real man that could have cast a stone, and He didn't.

Since forever, Ive always considered myself like Uzzah. He touched the Ark, and died. Ive always damned myself that way, that if I sin, BAM, youre done Vincent. Its finished. Theres no redemption. Again the natural man.

The greatest thing I have come to learn in my life, is that there is Redemption. I wanna share a story thats very close to my heart that happened between me and my mom just before I left for my mission. It was just her and me, and I dont remember all the circumstances, but I had shared with her some stuff that really kind of hurt her. And she looked at me, with all the love a mother can give, and said with tears in her eyes, "Ethan, you cannot go to other people and tell them that the gates of heaven are open for them, and yet for some reason they are closed for you."
And then she said something that I love, and will always cherish,
"Ethan, you are no exception. Theres always still a chance for you too."

The invitation of the Savior to the Natural Man is still the same invitation to all of us, "GO, AND SIN NO MORE." Sinning is EASY. To follow a commandment like that, is the swim against the current. To run uphill. Its not easy.

But I was swimming with the current. And I was running downhill. The hardest thing Ive had to do, is turn around. To change from the current, to turn around, and run uphill. Thats what we call repentance. And wow, repentance is one of the happiest, most joyful principles of all doctrine! Ya its rough, but if with every law comes a blessing, some of the sweetest blessings in my life have come from repenting, from the turning around and doing the hard things.

Once I had made that turn, that I was going uphill, I started a little slow. I wasnt used to the resistance! But after awhile of walking, I started to think about what might be at the end of the trail. And after going uphill, I started to desire to get to the top. Even though my pace started of as walking and maybe even crawling, that desire to get to the top made me want to run, and eventually sprint.

In D&C 98:13 it says, 13 And whoso layeth down his life in my cause (Or runs uphill), for my name’s sake, shall find it again, even life eternal.

The top of this uphill run, is life eternal. Its exaltation. I think for a really long time, I didnt understand what that meant. But now I understand, and its all I want. Im not perfect yet, and Im VERY. VERY. very. far from it. But Im doing it. And I know that He will not fail nor forsake me. I know that my Savior and Redeemer has gone through EVERYTHING that I could possibly, and then some. I know that with our faith, He can change water into wine. But I also know that with repentance, He can turn a sinner into a saint, and then exalt that saint on high. I love my Lord. And I am so grateful for these 2 years that I have to be in the Refiners Fire. Im grateful that I get to partake of the Sacrament tomorrow and renew the covenants that I have made! I know that the Priesthood has been restored, and I know that we have a Prophet living on this earth today by the name of Thomas S. Monson. I love him, and I sustain him! I know that my Redeemer lives and loves me too.

-Elder Vincent

My P-day got switched to Saturday. Also, Elder Marcus B. Nash of the 70 came to our mission this week. It was a pretty rad time.


No comments:

Post a Comment